Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More for the Halloween Season

Well, I finished The Amityville Horror quicker than I thought, which left me without something scary to read for the rest of the Halloween Season. I went to the local B&N on Fifth Avenue and picked up Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, which is the first entry in The Southern Vampire Mysteries.

As most people know, Dead Until Dark is the basis for the first season of HBO’s True Blood. I’ve never watched the show (which is now in its second season), but my wife is an avid follower. I decided, what the heck, let me check out the book first and then see if I can catch up and see the first season on demand or DVD.

I’m not much of a vampire guy. My favorite creatures of the night are werewolves. I was drawn to the fact that werewolves are vampires’ foils, how they can’t be controlled by the seductive powers of the undead. I prefer the savage over the suave.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good vampire book or movie, but I prefer a good werewolf book or movie instead. Unfortunately there have not been too many. My favorite werewolf book is Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause and my favorite werewolf movie (besides the original Wolf Man) is The Howling. I’m a big metamorphosis fan, so that movie blew me away as did An American Werewolf in London, although I was disappointed that they never showed the full werewolf. I’m very excited about the Wolf Man remake (titled The Wolfman) staring Anthony Hopkins and Benicio del Toro which is coming out next February. Hopefully, this is the quintessential werewolf movie us fans have been waiting for.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steven. I linked over to your blog from favorite books. We share quite a bit of favorites and I need to go back and update my list to reflect some of the ones I saw on yours (namely, I, Claudius, Sleeping Beauty Series, among others).

    What about a good old fashioned Stephen King novel? I remember reading "The Shining" when I was 17 years old and I actually had to sleep with my mother I was so scared. If you haven't read that one (or seen the movie...book infinitely more scary) I would suggest that one.

    best,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete