Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thanks, M’lisa!

Yesterday was my 4-year old son’s last day at daycare. Alex starts Pre-K after Labor Day. Ms. Lisa has taken care of him since he was 4 months old. Essentially, she has been a significant part of his entire life. Alex says her name so fast that it sounds like ‘M’lisa.’ Or, as my mother-in-law asked when she heard him say it, “¿Quién es Melissa?”

Ms. Lisa did a wonderful job taking care of Alex. He loved going there every weekday and he loves her. I know she feels the same way and the last day was quite emotional for her. I don’t think Alex fully appreciates that it was his last day there. He will in time and I can’t help but feel sorry for him. Ms. Lisa is everything he has ever known. I hope he remembers her. Next week or so he’ll likely ask, “Are we going to Ms. Lisa’s house today?” and I’ll have to say, “No, you’re going to school instead.” How long will it take for that to sink in and for him to fully understand it is anyone’s guess. But I’m sure there will be some tears involved, mine included.

My wife and I owe a sincere debt of gratitude to Ms. Lisa. But that surely can’t be enough. How can you adequately thank someone who has taken care of the most precious person in your life? I don’t know. In any event, we can just say, “Thanks, M’lisa, we love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment