Friday, August 26, 2011

Calm Before the Storm

Like most New Yorkers, this is all new to me. Mayor Bloomberg ordered the mandatory evacuation of low lying areas of NYC (known as Hurrican Evacuation Zone A) in anticipation of Hurricane Irene and the MTA is shutting down the subways starting at noon tomorrow. It takes them 8 full hours to shut down the system so the tracks will be clear by the time the storm hits.

Fortunately for me and my family, we live outside the evacuation zones so the biggest threat is downed power lines (trees are every where in my neighborhood, which is a far cry from the concrete jungle I grew up in in the Bronx).

So now it's beautiful and sunny outside without a hint of the storm. That's where the old cliche comes from because as we know, cliches become cliches because they're true, at least mostly.

So everyone in Irene's path (why do female named hurricane's cause the most trouble?) be safe and I hope and pray there isn't too much damage.

2 comments:

  1. Be safe! I'm ignoring the female named hurricane comment to promote your safety. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tina. Can't help it, female named hurricanes kick assets. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete