Thursday, January 12, 2012

Birthday Stealing

My son Alex is a birthday stealer. On Sunday, July 31, 2005, my very pregnant wife Betsy and I were set to go to my sister-in-law Elly's house for her daughter's 17th birthday. We never made it together because Betsy went into labor and gave birth by noon. I did make it to Elly's house to drop off the birthday gift and have her help me install the carseat. The thing is, Betsy was due August 10th, but Alex would have nothing of it. He was intent on stealing his cousin's birthday, I'm sure of it.

Flash forward to now and my again very pregnant wife is due January 25th, a significant date for me as it is the birthday of my dearly departed best friend Sergio. So that's birthday stealing I want. But the thing is, if Betsy gives birth again at 38 weeks and 4 days as she did 6 years ago, she'll give birth this Sunday, January 15th. Whose birthday is that? Elly's, of course. So my kids may end up stealing not only her daughter's but her birthday as well. Unlike her daughter, however, Elly wants the baby born this Sunday. Fitting considering that we're naming her Elena in honor of her aunt. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment