Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Rainbow Connection

This was a busy holiday weekend for us, with hosting Thanksgiving dinner, painting the nursery, and doing some shopping, but we were able to take a break and see THE MUPPETS, which my wife, son, and I loved. I adored the Muppets when I was a kid and saw THE MUPPET MOVIE when I was 7. When Kermit sang "The Rainbow Connection" in the original movie I cried, and when I saw him sing it in the new flick I got teary eyed as well. In fact, every time I hear the song I get choked up.

The thing is, ever since I was a child I was more fascinated in song lyrics than the music. I'm still that way. I always like to know what the singer is saying. I've always been drawn to the story teller songs and songs that say something. I was a melancholy kid and I never believed that wishes came true. I guess I've always been the never-say-die pessimist. I believe the worst will happen, but I still fight against it.

"The Rainbow Connection" spoke to me. It's about the disenchanted clinging to the notion of finding the enchanted. Lovers and Dreamers believe in wishes, but the singer (Kermit), does not, but he still searches for the rainbow connection--the stuff of dreams, what has made people wish upon stars and enchanted sailors long ago. The song made me sad and hopeful, sad because I felt like the singer, the outsider who doesn't believe and hopeful that I would one day find the answer.

I'm not sure if I've ever found it, but I do believe in dreams and wishes. They do come true. Not always, of course, but the thing about wishes is that sometimes its never something you've asked for, but once you realize you have it you'll never want to let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment