Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thanks NaNoWriMo!

A year ago today I started something that altered the course of my writing career. I decided to partake in the National Novel Writing Month where writers commit to write at least a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. I started on November 1, 2010 and got to 50,000 words and a complete first draft by Thanksgiving weekend. The book? Then it was called ALEJANDRO AND THE DRAGON OF CANTABRIA, which is now known as DRAGORO.

So, yes, this is a pleasant anniversary for me. A year ago I didn't know if I could complete a book in such a short of time, but I did it. I then went through numerous drafts before querying and the book finally landed me an agent--an awesome agent in fact with a fantastic agency. A year ago I only dreamed of that happened and about 7 months after I started it happened.

I'm still working on revisions for DRAGORO in order to go on sub so I won't be participating in NaNoWriMo this year. But I am forever grateful for it. Thanks, NaNoWriMo and good luck to the tens of thousands of writers participating in it this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment