Friday, March 23, 2012

The Promise of Spring

Spring is my favorite time of the year, especially now with the unseasonably warmer weather. The sun shines more, the air is warmer, and everything seems more alive. There's always a sense of promise, a promise that things will get better. It's not always the case, of course, but it just seems that way.

I'm thinking about that now because of the contrast to the dark clouds in my life. A dear friend of mine, only 40, was recently diagnosed with cancer. He goes into surgery next week. You think how young we are and how much life still has to offer, and then mortality slaps you in the face. I can't help but think of my own. My baby girl is just 2 months and my son will be 7 by the end of summer. There's no guarantee I'll be blessed enough to watch them grow up. I'm also going through a transition writing wise, as DRAGORO has hit a snag and shifting gears to another project may be the best bet. Then there is the still shaky job market. I'm lucky to still be in the same job after 12 years, but who knows what next year will bring if business doesn't pick up? There are other things, but you get the point.

Yet there is still the promise of Spring. Life renewed. We'll get through all this the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment