Thursday, June 21, 2012

First eAnniversary

I became a heavy fiction about 13 years ago when I graduated law school. Before that, I mainly read for law school and college, rarely reading for pleasure.  But with my first professional job I needed to find something to do on my hour long commute, so I did what most everyone else did on the train then--read.

I started off by reading successful books that became succussful movies (Gone with the Wind, The Godfather, Jaws, The Exorcist, etc.), being the movie buff that I am. Then I expanded my reading to include just about anything, be it family sagas, historicals, thrillers, scifi, YA, literary fiction, romance, or erotica. So long as I was entertained I was happy. The thing was, I was plowing through books and I always bought what I was going to read. That, of course, could be expensive so I focused mainly on paperbacks. Rarely did I ever buy hardcovers.  So if a new book came out that I was interested, I would just wait a year until its paperback release.

That all changed on June 21, 2011, the day I received my Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the mail.  The Tab was my first taste of tablets and I was in love. Surfing the web, watching videos, and yes, reading took up all of my time with my new device. I downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps and bought a couple of eBooks. I instantly loved the format, the ability to bookmark and highlight passages, and search the books for info. Surprisingly, it seemed that I was reading faster on my Tab than I was with physical copy of books.  That meant I had to buy more books that before, which, of course, I did. The beauty of it is that the books tended to be cheaper, which allowed me to buy a bunch of newly published books. No longer did I have to wait a year for the book to come out in order to afford it.

The Tab changed my reading routine. Now I read everywhere and at any free moment I had. That was probably why I read faster. There was so much ease in picking up the Tab, plopping down on the couch to check my email and news, and then hit the Nook app to start reading.  After a year I'm still in love with it.

I still buy physical copy of books, mainly from authors that I know and at book signing for authors I enjoy.  But I'm still all-in on eBooks. The future is now and it couldn't be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment